22 January 2009

Hood Obsession

I am in love with hoods right now. Yes, that warranted the bold typeface. The picture to the left is from designer Biddell, Project Runway Canada Season 1. I love his use of big floppy hoods!

Christopher Raeburn, from Project Catwalk Season 1 also had a fabulous hood in episode 5, but no luck finding that picture!

So, I want to make a jacket with a big floppy hood. Not a sporty, fleecie, sweatshirty type of hooded jacket, a nice jacket. Almost like a suit jacket that a really edgy girl would wear (yes, that is my dream). I have a wonderful dark grey wool blend that would be great for this project. I am sure I can find really cool lining for it too. I'm thinking something with a print.

The problem is, I can't find a pattern. I want a front zip and a giant hood but I haven't seen anything like it! I don't mind if the fit is a tad boxy but it can't be too boxy. I think a little bit of a boxy shape looks good with a hood. Burda 7750 is /sort of/ what I'm looking for (the beige jacket on the right), although I'm a bit apprehensive that it will turn out looking like outerwear instead of innerwear (is that a word?) I really want a zipper in this jacket, but the diaganol zip from Burda 7750 might be a bit over the top for me. A) It wouldn't hang nicely if I left it open with a shirt underneath and B) I'm making a suit jacket with a hood, I can't take too many more risks than that in one garment!


I've looked for patterns in the big 4, Burda and Hot Patterns but I see nothing. This might be a self-drafted pattern exercise, or I may modify a pattern I already own, like New Look 6852. It really could work. What do you guys think? How difficult would it be to add a zipper to a jacket that is meant to have buttons? One of these days soon I plan to make a muslin out of this jacket and give the hood & zip a whirl. :) Any advice is welcome, wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Heather, do you subscribe to Burda World of Fashion magazine? You seem like a BWOF kind of a gal. As far as substituting a zipper for buttons, just eliminate any overlap in the front edges...

    ReplyDelete