06 January 2009

Sometimes I Knit

I would say that most of those who sew also knit.I only partially fit into that category. At this point I don't have much of a desire to take on any large scale apparel knitting projects, although I do enjoy the lovely posts from Tany (Couture et Tricot) and Cidell (Miss Celie's Pants) with their latest knitting projects.

Me? I mostly just knit dishcloths. Isn't that odd? I really like colorful knitted dishcloths, they are really scrubby an
d yet they don't scratch anything! My favorite knitting pattern is that neato diagonal orange/white dishcloth with the neat edging. That particular pattern is called "Grandma's Favorite" and I've included the directions below. It turns out to be really cute. This is a really great project for beginners or for people in need of dishcloths :)

Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth
Materials: Sugar and Cream yarn or any cotton yarn; Size 6 or 7 needles (US)
Instructions:

Cast on 4 stitches
Row 1:
Knit 4

Row 2:
Knit 2, yarn over, knit across the row. Repeat Row 2 until you have 44 stitches on the needle.

Row 3:
Knit 1, Knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to the end of the row. Repeat Row 3 until you have 4 stitches on the needle. Then bind off!

I have purchased beige, black, red and white cotton yarn and one of these days I'm going to make a pseudo Burberry plaid dishcloth. I should do that soon, wouldn't that make a great "just because" gift for friends? I think I would just do full rows of knit and then purl so the dishcloth turns out with no ribbing. It seems like I should knit 5 beige, knit 1 red, knit 5 beige, knit 2 black, knit 2 white, etc etc. I wonder if that would work out. I wonder how I would keep all the yarn from being a tangled mess.

Currently I am knitting a raspberry and charcoal plaid scarf. I am using the same pattern I use for plaid dishcloths but I have upgraded the size 7 knitting needles to size 10.5. The scarf is turning out to be kind of wide though. It should be pretty warm with the nice grey wool. :)

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I'm not able to see your pictures in this post...

    Well, I only love apparel knitting and sewing; I can make other things (and I did most of my home decoration), but I just don't get as much pleasure from it, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Lori - In looking at your pics of dishcloths, remember the blue/pink mottled one? I have that exact dishcloth in my drawer! Stacia made it for me. I'm pretty sure that's the project she made when you (and Meemaw?) taught her to knit when we were in WY one time! Btw, you're welcome for the doll clothes. Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete