02 January 2009

Technology Meets Sewing


For me, technology and sewing go hand in hand. There are two critical devices in my "sewing room". (Who am I kidding? I sew at my kitchen table). The first most critical item is my macbook. I love sewing with my laptop! I place it on the table to the right of my sewing machine and I push it back a little bit so there is space in front of it. I use my laptop while I sew to watch movies, episodes of Sex & The City or whatever I can find that will inspire me. Along with all 5 seasons of Project Runway I have also watched Project Runway Canada, Project Runway Australia and Project Catwalk (think Project Runway UK). I LOVE watching these shows while I sew.

Also, if I run into an issue my Macbook is right there ready for me to google around for some advice. Yesterday I had a nice surprise when my mom rang me for a video conference and we had fun chatting at my sewing table while I showed her some of my projects that are underway and she showed me her new piano music. My family lives 1,500 miles away from me, so it was a really fun time.

She also showed me her new Roomba, which brings me to the 2nd most critical technological device in my sewing room. I LOVE my Roomba. I got it nearly 3 years ago. It is the best ever for cleaning up bits of thread and fabric residue in the area I've been sewing and cutting fabric. It is a total lifesaver. Of course, I have to pick up any real bits of fabric before I get the roomba out, but you would be surprised at how much it can pick up! The best part is that when it starts to run out of battery it's smart enough to go find its docking station and charge itself. I love you Roomba. :) It really does keep the sewing mess down in the house!

As an honorable mention, I'd like to say that my Blackberry also accompanies me while I sew. But of course, it is with me WHEREVER I am so I don't know if it counts as "sewing technology".

I have often considered moving my sewing to my office or to one of the empty bedrooms upstairs. Right now I actually use my office for work, though. My team at work is located in Chicago and NYC so all of our interaction is over the phone, email, chat, so working from home is an option that I take advantage of once or twice a week. And the bedrooms upstairs just feel so lonely, so I always sew at my kitchen table. Maybe once I am married or have kids I will need to move the sewing elsewhere to free up the table for its real purpose. I'd be curious to hear from all of you who sew. In what room do you sew?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather and welcome to blogland! I answered your question by replying to your email address. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete