29 December 2008

New Grey Coat

I finished my grey coat, in time for Christmas. I wore it out with the girls right before vacation too. I love how swingy the bottom is. There are a few things that I'd like to change, but let's start with pointing out the positive :) Ha ha.

Based On: Giorgio Armani
Pattern: Vogue 8305
Fabric Used: 4 3/4 Yards Grey felt, Double-Lined with 3 3/8 Poly Lining and 3 3/8 Grey Fleece
Notions: 3 Toggle buttons
Description: Lined, fitted jacket has asymmetrical collar and front closing, princess seams and shoulder pads. Jacket hem falls mid-knee.

What did I love about the jacket? THE NOTCH! I love details like this.




I also like how swingy the coat is at the bottom, and the length of it. I'm tempted to make a black tulle skirt to show out the bottom & give it a little more swing for fancy events. I have worn it with a thick black belt as well, I liked that.



The lining was just some red poly I found for $1/yard. It did the trick though! I had to be really careful with my sewing machine as even having the pressure foot too low would kind of snag the fabric. The grey felt wasn't very warm, so I actually double-lined the coat by backing the red lining with some grey fleece. It added a little bulk to the coat but now it is very very warm. Next time I would just like to find some higher quality coating in the first place :) Great news- I just found a new fabric store so hopefully I will have better selection next time. This grey coating is literally the best quality I could find at my store.




Here is the finished product.




Here are the things I would change if I were to remake this coat:

1) Higher quality material. This coat is great, but the felt was so thin that I had to reinforce the lining with fleece. Hopefully my new fabric store will have more selection for apparel.

2) I would make the collar larger. I don't like that the collars don't touch in the front.

3) I would make regular button holes instead of using loops and toggles. I think buttoning the coat is a bit awkward.

Overall though, I really do love this coat. It seems to attract compliments and the swing at the bottom would make anyone feel very lady like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment